In conjunction with Pennsylvania Certified Organic 5th Annual FarmFest, we are delight to be holding our favorite delectable event - our People's Choice Pie Contest.
Our pie contest continues to build community around the love of pie! We have so much fun we decided to do it again! There are amateur and professional categories, as well as a youth category. The best part is, YOU are the judge! Tough job, but somebody has got to do it!
There is something about community and pie that go hand-in-hand. It represents the goodness of home and place. In the spirit of community, our pie baking contest is open to all - just like our future brick and mortar grocery store!
We encourage participants to get creative, have fun and celebrate the Americana treasure that is pie.
Pie Entry Categories:
- Amateur or Professional (defined as someone who works for a bakery, works for or owns a catering company or sells pies)
- Children (age 8-17) or Adults (18 and over)
- Sweet, Savory or Gluten-free/Vegan
- The pie must be made from scratch and baked by the individual(s) submitting the entry - No store bought pies or crusts.
- Each baker can enter as many pies as they wish, but a separate entry form must be completed for each pie. Entries can be submitted below.
- Each entry form will be recorded and a number will be assigned to that pie. Only the number and the recipe title will be displayed to allow for anonymity during the judging.
- The pie must have at least a bottom and a side crust and must be baked in an oven. Due to lack of refrigeration at the Grange Fair Grounds, we are not able to accept cream-based pies.
- Pies must be baked in an 8-10 inch pie tin/pan, preferably non-returnable. However, should you want to bake that pie in your Grandma's favorite pie tin, neither Friends & Farmers Cooperative nor Pennsylvania Certified Organic will be held responsible for any damage. We will do our very best to care for your heirloom. We will place a sticker on the bottom corresponding to the assigned entry number, so we know it's yours.
- Due to allergies, we request that a recipe be submitted with each entry. Recipes must be hand printed or typed on an 8 1/2" x11" sheet of paper (original & unpublished recipes only). Include the recipe title, your name, address and phone number.
- Pies should be brought between 11:00 am-12:30 pm to the Grange Fair Grounds Friends & Farmers' tent. Pie sampling/judging will be done between 1:00-3:00 pm. We will establish a drop-off site in State College for Saturday morning should you want to bake a pie, but are unable to attend the festivities.
- All pies submitted for judging will become the property of Friends & Farmers. Tasting slices will be sold to attendees/community "judges." Proceeds will benefit FarmFest and the Friends & Farmers Educational Outreach.
- Bakers agree to have their pie, recipe and name published and/or photographed without compensation or reimbursement.
FarmFest attendees will sample the pies and express their inner food critic! Judging will be based on appearance, filling taste, crust taste and overall impression. Extra points will be awarded for every central Pennsylvania product used in the pie! Prizes will be awarded in the amateur adult's sweet, savory and gluten-free/vegan category. Best overall prize will be awarded in the children's and professional category.
Please fill out this form for each pie you will be submitting to the contest.
Entry forms must be completed by Friday, July 29 @ 5pm.
Would you be willing to volunteer for this fun-filled event? Check out the volunteer shifts below